The Darlin’ Duck Derby is the signature fund-raising event for the Clayton County CASA Program. This year’s event is scheduled for September 29, 2012. Race day events will be held at the Jonesboro Historical Courthouse, located at 121 S. McDonough Street in Jonesboro. Activities began at 10:00AM. Families from the surrounding communities join together for a fun-filled day of food, entertainment, and activities for all!
Now in its 14th year, the Darlin’ Duck Derby is an exciting opportunity to get the whole community involved in support of a great cause. Each of the 4,000 numbered rubber ducks participate in a breathtaking race to the finish line. In the weeks leading up to the big event tickets are sold and randomly matched up with a racing duck. On race day, all 4,000 ducks waddle their way up to the starting line and they’re off! Assisted by a current created by our fire department’s water hoses, the ducks race to the finish line.
The numbers of the winning ducks are recorded and prizes donated by local businesses are awarded to the winners. This year there will be guaranteed CASH prizes, courtesy of Heritage Cadillac SAAB Mitsubishi, as well as an array of other excellent prizes.
If you missed your chance to be a part of this important event in the past, make sure to join us this year on Saturday, September 29, 2012! Donate a prize, become a Corporate Sponsor, volunteer, buy a ticket, or just come and join the fun!
Official Rules and Regulations of the Darlin’ Duck Derby
The Darlin’ Duck Derby is presented for the benefit of Clayton County CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) by the Friends of Clayton County CASA, Inc., a charitable organization under the 501c3 of the Internal Revenue Service.
- A maximum of 4,000 rubber ducks will be entered in the race.
- Ducks will be launched into the race course on the Clayton County Historical Courthouse Grounds approximately 4:00 p.m. Chances of winning depend on the total number of qualified entries.
- All ducks entered will be provided by Friends of Clayton County CASA, Inc. (hereafter ‘the Presenter’) and shall remain the property of the Presenter.
- Once the ducks are launched, they are to remain in the course that is constructed. No attempt to free or interfere with any duck is permitted, unless deemed necessary by the Presenter.
- A number will be randomly assigned to each duck adopted/purchased as indicated on a completed duck ticket. The persons’ names which appear on the duck ticket corresponding to the first qualifying ducks to cross the finish line will be awarded prizes. A list of prizes and winners will be posted here and at 124 North McDonough Street, Jonesboro, GA 30236. First Place Prize will be $2000.00 cash, and Second Place Prize will be $1000.00 cash. Other prizes will be awarded on race day as collected from Prize Donors prior to September 29, 2012.
- The winners must be 18 years of age or older.
- No cash equivalent prizes will be provided in lieu of the designated prizes unless otherwise agreed upon by the prize donor.
- A duck ticket in exchange for $5.00 per duck (or 6 tickets for $25.00), can be obtained here and from other sources authorized by the Presenter.
- The entry portion of each duck ticket or online registration form must be completely filled out and delivered to the Presenter or an authorized representative of the Presenter at the address set forth in Regulation 5 above, and actually received by the Presenter prior to the race for a duck ticket to be eligible to win any prize. Entrants assume the risk of non-delivery of any entries to the Presenter or an authorized representative of the Presenter. Mail and online entries must be received by September 27, 2012. If all ducks are not adopted/purchased in advance, ducks will be available for adoption/purchase at the race site the day of the race.
- By entering, winners consent to the promotional use of their names and likenesses without additional compensation.
- Excess ducks may be launched into the race. If the first duck to cross the finish line is an excess duck the prize will be awarded to the adoptive parent/purchaser of the first adopted/purchased duck to cross the finish line. The remaining prizes will be awarded in the same manner.
- Winners will be announced at the finish of the race and the tabulation of the results. Winners need not be present to win, and will be notified by telephone or US postal Service. If any winner does not claim his or her prize within 30 days of the race date the prize shall be forfeited. The Presenter reserves the right to decide whether or not to select an alternative winner through a random drawing of entries.
- All decisions and interpretation of rules and regulations will be made by the Presenter and the race committee and its judgment is final.
- In case of inclement weather, technical difficulties or other acts of God, the Presenter reserves the right to postpone the race upon announcement, or select winners by an alternative method. The Presenter shall not be held liable in any way for any loss, damage , or inconvenience, which may be caused by any such postponement or cancellation of the Darlin’ Duck Derby.
- Members of Clayton County CASA , board members of Friends of Clayton County CASA Inc, or race committee members shall be eligible to participate. No Clayton County CASA staff member, board member of Friends of Clayton County CASA, Inc., or race committee member will be actively involved in the determination or handling of the duck winners.
- A copy of the Rules and Regulations is available from the Presenter by sending a written request and self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Presenter at the address shown above in Regulation 5.